If you are conducting a business in the UK you should file a trademark application at the UK Patent Office in the registration Classes that correspond to your business.

If you want to stop someone else using your name in any other part of the European Union you should consider a Community Trade Mark (CTM) application at the Community Trade Mark office. One CTM application triggers separate applications in each member state of the European Union.

This is a good idea given the free movement of goods and within the EU. It stops potential competitors using your name in other parts of the EU and it means that you are protected if you sell or expand into the EU countries. You should also look to protect your name in your main markets internationally subject of course to cost considerations. However, since October 2004, it is possible to cover up to 172 countries by filing one application under the Madrid Protocol.

Posted in: FAQ Page

Where do I need to register my trademark?